Friday, 24 July 2015

Finishing touches

In today’s lesson, Chanel and I completed the finishing touches for our robot puppy. When we programmed it to move last lesson, it was trying to move but a few pieces were blocking the back wheel from rotating successfully. So in today’s lesson we fixed the back wheel issue with Mrs Rizk’s help which took a couple of minutes and it moved slightly better. After this Chanel and I attempted to fix the problem with the stabilisation of the front wheels (legs) so it would not collapse and move faultily. We attached some Lego pieces to both sides of the front wheels to make it stay upright and secure and not wobble around. This worked successfully and the front legs stayed upright as we planned. Next, we attempted to see if the dog would move properly, and it successfully moved smoothly without interference. As seen in the video it did not stop when it found an edge but it was an accomplishment that it moved effectively.


video

Wednesday, 22 July 2015

Wednesday 22th July 2015 - Construction of Front two legs

In today’s lesson Danielle and I began to construct and attach the two front legs (wheels). This was not as simple as we planned as we did not have the sufficient number of Lego pieces in our kit to construct the legs, which meant we had to improvise, this generated some issues when it came time for us to attach the legs as the legs did not secure easily into place. Eventually when we attached the legs, we encountered another issue which was that because the legs were not stable which meant the front half of the robot would collapse and not move. This issue became apparent when we programmed the robot to move forward and backwards and because the legs were not secured this lead to the solid pieces of Lego dragging on the table which didn’t allow the robot dog to move smoothly. We decided that the next lesson we would stabilize the front legs to the solid structure of the robot so they would stay upright and this would hopefully allow the robot to move without interference.


PS: this is Chanel's blog post but her Cenet password expired so she is unable to log into her blogger.

video

Wednesday, 15 July 2015

Building the puppy

During today's lesson we continued to build the NXT Puppy which we began building at the end of last term. We started on section 6 today but we had to improvise because we didn't have the specific piece in our box. We also had to attach the piece underneath the dog which caused a slight problem because it wouldn’t clip in correctly, due to the improvisation we had to do earlier in this step, but we eventually got the piece in. After this we went onto section 7 and 8 and we didn't encounter any problems. However, when we reached section 9 today we didn’t have 2 pieces so we had to improvise again but it worked out. Chanel and I started on section 10 and we found all the correct pieces but ran out of time to start building it so we left it for next lesson.